Bluegrass Derby 2006 – From a Breeders Point of View
I will take a break away from the normal Breeding Corner and take a look at the runners in one of the Sim’s biggest races the Bluegrass Derby. In the last couple of years it has been interesting seeing the evolution of retired mares producing runners for this race. Danzig was a big influence in 2004 and last year there were four sires that produced two runners a piece, A.P. Indy, Sadler’s Wells, Miswaki, and Seeking the Gold.
Here is a list by post position of the Sire, dam (if one was used), dam sire and dam’ dam sire.
1. Lovely Sheep - Lammtarra X Scenic (IRE) X Akaaber
2. Clan of the Cat – Mountain Cat X Oak Clan (Danzig X Secretariat)
3. Ab Fab – Awesome Again X Independence Day (A.P. Indy X Mr. Prospector)
4. New Found Cyclone – Newfoundland X Northern Dancer X Mr. Prospector
5. Black Clown – Afleet X Gone West X Broad Brush
6. Alastor – Squirtle Squirt X Marinian Star (Hennessy X Mr. Prospector)
7. Dark Princes – Empire Maker X Wild Again X Nureyev
8. Toxicsuperfreakout – Orientate X Gulchess (Thunder Gulch X Sword Dance (IRE))
9. Ermington Pegasus – Sky Mesa X Secret Pegasus (Fusaichi Pegasus X Secretariat)
10. Ribus – Kingmambo X Pleasant Nijinsky (Pleasant Colony X Nijinsky II)
11. San Pellegrino – War Chant X Pleasant Colony X Caerleon
12. Remember Tampero – Unbridled’s Song X Tampero (Theatrical (IRE) X Fappiano)
13. Depravity – Red Bullet X Minesterial (Deputy Minister X Mr. Prospector)
14. Virtuoso – Cryptoclearance X Fight Earn (El Prado (IRE) X Fit to Fight)
15. Peacenik – Peace Rules X Big N Tall (Broad Brush X Blacktie Affair)
16. Half a World Away – Belong to Me X Whenworldscollide (Gone West X Verbatim)
17.K’s Rumor Has It – Sadler’s Wells X Seattle Slew X Nijinsky II
18. Unamazingness –Unbridled’s Song X Kris S. X El Gran Senor
19. So Slew Me – Belong to Me X No More Storms (Seattle Slew X Storm Cat)
20. Breeding Empire – Empire Maker X Wave on Wave (Seattle Slew X Nureyev)
Nine mares and four he mares produced runners this year one less over all than last year. Three of the he mares were grade D or higher all better grades than any of the mares. Those three he mares had top speed figures of 118,118, and 116. Two of them were stakes winners are represent the only stakes winners from any of the mares. All but one mare had at least one win. The one mare that did not have a win has been a good producer getting quality from her foals.
Speed figures this year again were a tail tell song for production once again this year. The one non winning mare was the slowest with a career best 71 speed figure. There was only one other mare that did not run a 90 speed figure or faster and she ran an 87. Seven of the mares ran at 100+ speed figure at some point. Only one mare was the bottom grade H a majority of the rest were grade F and G. This group was not as classy a group of mares as last year.
Three sires produced two runners each Belong To Me, Unbridled’s Song, and Empire Maker. From the dam side of things Seattle Slew produced three starters this year and Pleasant Colony produced two. Mr. Prospector was the dam’s dam sire in five of the runner’s pedigrees. Broad Brush shows up again this year as a dam sire in one runner and a dam’s dam sire.
The Mr. Prospector line really dominated the sire slots in this race. Danzig once again was a solid presence as his son Belong to Me produced two starters and Danzig himself was a dam sire to one runner. Northern Dancer line sires also produced well with Nijinsky II showing up a couple of times Nureyev, Storm Cat and Deputy Minister.
Once again you do not see the Big Sire X Big Sire X Big Sire breedings producing a lot of runners. I would say Ab Fab, Dark Princes, K’s Rumor Has It and Breeding Empire are the only runners that fit that style. You see a lot of the mid tier sires that can be had for less than 200 BPs at the end of the week most weeks paired with two really good sires in the dam sire slot and dam’s dam sire slot. Clan of the Cat, New Found Cyclone, Ermington Pegasus, Depravity, and So Slew Me.
The mares that produced runners this year showed a different dimension. Many did not earn that much on the track with a majority earning less than $100,000. Last year you had quite a few stakes winners produce runners this year it was more of the solid variety mare that might have been stakes placed but most likely was just an allowance winner. The speed figures the mares ran seemed to be a solid indicator of success and that was true in last year’s mares. Remember when thinking derby keep in mind Mr. Prospector and Danzig.
Hope you enjoyed the different look of the Bluegrass derby. Next week the Freshman Sires Series will continue. As always if you have any questions, comments, or sire requests please drop me a line at email@example.com . Be sure to reference the Breeding Corner. Good luck and good breeding!