Freshman sires are off and running in their quest to break into the sim elite. Most of these guys were outstanding runners and have terrific pedigrees as well. I thought it might be interesting to take a look at a few of the top 1st year baby makers and see how sim horses who share their pedigree have fared. Do clones work? Lets take a look.
1. Dylan Thomas- 130 races 25 percent winners 1.9 percent stakes winners. His progeny are earning nicely at an average of just under 18k per and they are doing it on the turf 88 percent of the time as opposed to just 12 percent on the dust. In real life Dylan earned over 3 million and won 10 of his 20 starts and hit the board 15 times. His pedigree is Danehill x Diesis x Mount Hagen is uncloned in the sim so we will never know how this stud would have fared as a sim runner.
2. Discreet Cat – 129 races nearly 30 percent winners 3.7 percent stakes winners and a little over 15k per runner. Nearly all of the damage these wunderkinds are doing is on the dirt (96 percent). In real life Discreet Cat earned over 1.5 million taking 6 of his ten lifetime starts. His pedigree of Forestry x Private Account x Believe it was duplicated twice in the sim. So how have the Discreet Cat clones faired?
Discreet Kat ID # 105052 is no chip off the block. The 4 year old colt is 1-30 lifetime and has earned a measly 24k. No nmcos wins either. Ouch.
Cat Private Ets ID # 136256 has been only slightly better so far the 3 year old colt 2-15 lifetime good for 25k or so also… He is banging around in bottom level claims if you want to take this replica of greatness home from his next race.
3. Street Sense – The 2007 Kentucky winner is faring nicely in the sim as a baby maker. Winning at a 40 percent clip and taking home a little more than 15k per runner. 80 percent are dirt runners and 20 percent turf. On the track Street Sense made more than 4 million bucks and his pedigree of Street Cry x Dixieland Band x His Majesty has been cloned twice.
Makes Sense ID# 152582 has yet to break his maiden in 10 starts and has only won a paltry 3k for his efforts. Another copy gone bad.
Sense Ible ID# 154110 has fared a bit better winning 1 of his 9 starts and has 3 seconds (all on turf) and 25k in earnings.
Chase This Outlaw ID# 159463 is still an unraced 2 year old so the hopes for a sim Street Sense still exist.
4. Excellent Art- Was a millionaire who only missed the board once in his 10 starts (4 wins 3 seconds and 2 shows). His sim runners are winning at a 28 percent clip with a healthy 4 percent stakes winners, 63 percent turf 37 dirt. His pedigree of Pivotal x Seeking the Gold x Secretariat has only been tried once.
More Dreams ID# 161663 a two year old filly only has one start but ran a promising third maybe this one will live up to the horse she was cloned after.
5. Corinthian- Another millionaire on the track whose record on the track was 12 Starts, 6 Wins, 1 Places, 2 Shows. His sim runners are 30 percent winners earning nearly 12k a piece. They are 97 percent dirt runners and have had success in stakes and graded races.
His pedigree Pulpit x Easy Goer x Spectacular bid has been tried twice in the sim.
Easy Bid a two year old filly is unraced and
Easy Going Pulpit ID # 132615 has been a bit of a bust with 14 lifetime starts and a goose egg in the win column. His 2.6k in earning is not bringing back any memories of Corinthian.
So it is clear that cloning any of the top 5 frosh sires has not worked very well, but I did go a bit deeper to find a few clones who have to be making their real life 1st year sire proud. Here are a few.
Grey Swallow is top 10 first year sire Daylami x The Minstrel x Nashua. He was just getting started when his sim clone got running. The 6 year old Day Singer ID# 20606 has over 100k in earnings on 54 starts and won 7 times. Ok not a world beater but better than most of what we have seen.
Another top 10 Freshman Any Given Saturday is the only I saw that had a clone with some success. Distorted Bid ID# 106018 (Distorted Humor X AP Indy X Spectacular Bid) is a three year old filly who has won over 200k and has 4 NMCOS wins. She is stakes placed and has won two nice restricted stakes over at NWRC. There is also an unraced AGS waiting in the wings.
Well once again the old adage is proved true a copy is not as good as the original. If any of the owners of these horses did not mean to copy these famous sires pedigrees I did not mean to say you had. If you are setting out to clone a runner let this be a caveat. There ain’t nothing like the real thing baby. Peace out.